7 Foods That Clear Your Complexion
By Natasha Burton | 2 years ago
We all struggle occasionally with acne. While we can help you with a skin regimen and provide you with products to keep your face acne-free, you can really help your skin from the inside out through your diet. What you put into your body truly does reflect how it looks on the outside.
To keep blemishes at bay and to obtain a beautiful glow, try incorporating the following seven foods into your diet:
1. Oily fish- tuna or salmon: Eating fish provides your body with biotin. Biotin has many functions but here specifically it produces fatty acids and metabolizes amino acids. A lack of biotin can cause among other things dry, scaly skin- and honestly…who wants that?
2. Chia seeds: High in Omega-3 fatty acids, which in turn help maintain cell membranes by protecting the skin and providing it with moisture. Walnuts are also rich in these fatty acids. I was personally surprised that those chia pet thingies were so nutritious…I will never look at my Richard Simmons chia pet the same!
3. Sweet potatoes: Loading up on colorful, deeply-colored fruits and veggies not only provides your body with lots of water and keeps your skin hydrated but it also provides you with plenty of Vitamin A. Sweet potatoes, carrots and spinach have also been shown to enhance skin color and appearance by increasing yellowness and redness. Just be careful to not eat too much! If you walk around with a orange like glow..we know that you went on a carrot bender! (true story! I know someone that did this!)
4. Almonds: Packed with vitamin E, raw almonds being the best, will help you maintain healthy skin. It is also worth noting that vitamin E may protect the skin from damage from the sun… this in no way replaces sunscreen by the way!!
5. Sunflower seeds: who knew all those seed at baseball games was really good for me? These tiny seed are an excellent source of Vitamin E and help to protect the skin from damage from free radicals in the environment and the body.
6. Complex carbs: Processed food is just bad, if for anything, give it up to keep your skin beautiful!! Processed food and white flour can increase the inflammation process and cause acne flare-ups. Replace pasta and white rice with complex carbs like barley, quinoa, beans, and brown rice- foods that are all lower on the glycemic index. (This will help your waistline as well!)
7. OJ: Orange juice often gets a bad rap. It provides fluids to keep you hydrated and vitamin C, which protects the skin and cells from those nasty free radicals. Vitamin C also produces collagen, and personally, this girl needs all the collagen that she can get!!!!